One of the types of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the intervertebral discs is cervical osteochondrosis, which can be treated at home. The main goal is to complete and develop the work of classical treatment methods (drugs, physiotherapy).
Symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis will affect several organs and systems at once due to the nature of blood supply and innervation:
- Impaired motor function in the upper extremities.
- Severe pain syndrome (especially in the acute stage).
- visual and hearing impairment. Tinnitus can occur. Pathological changes in the blood circulation (vertebral artery syndrome) cause the formation of "flies" in front of the eyes, loss of vision.
- Sensory impairment.
- Headache (due to hypoxia).
There are several stages in the development of the disease:
- Acute (first 2-3 weeks). The clinical picture was announced, but small changes in the osteochondral apparatus.
- Subacute (3-6 weeks). In the clinic, pain remains the leading symptom, and the images show signs of bone destruction.
- Chronic (more than 6 weeks). The clinic shows rare and mild syndromes (excruciating pain, limited mobility). The images show significant changes in the articular surfaces. Intervertebral hernias often occur (bone structures become brittle).
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is allowed at home, along with the use of other therapies (pills, physiotherapy). As a rule, the effectiveness of alternative treatments is much lower, but multiple repetitions of such courses of treatment are allowed (after 3-4 courses, patients begin to feel comfortable).
Cervical osteochondrosis can be treated at home, but only if the following conditions are met:
- Compensation or subcompensation phase (no clinical manifestations or minor).
- Consultation with a doctor (rheumatologist, therapist).
- No allergic reaction to treatment components.
Advantages of home treatment:
- Available at any time.
- Cost is effective.
Disadvantages of therapy:
- Improper selection of funds and lack of impact, worsening of the situation.
- Wrong training.
- Exacerbation of concomitant diseases caused by incorrect self-medication tactics.
Complex exercise therapy
Severe pain should be avoided when exercising with cervical osteochondrosis. Perform the course only from any position (sitting, lying), according to the individual capabilities of the body.
The set of exercises is selected by a specialist.
- head bending / extension;
- circular head movements;
- bends forward / backward, right / left.
Sports complex, physiotherapy and massage of the cervical region are carried out in the complex for several weeks.
Using a special board is one of the options for reflexology. It is based on mechanical movement in the innervation zones.
This device is purchased in specialized pharmacies and is used independently as a massage.
Rubbing from pharmaceutical products
There are many pharmacy infusions and lotions available at the moment, which eliminates the need for special preparations.
These seeds include the following elements:
- Essential oils (sage, mint, lemon balm, aloe, tea tree).
- Analgesics for painkillers.
- Irritants (pepper, mustard).
- Antiseptic (alcohol, menthol).
Apply each according to the attached instructions.
Folk remedies and recipes
Recipes of folk remedies for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis have long been known for their effectiveness and simplicity. How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home - these are the most popular and effective methods of traditional medicine used in patients with musculoskeletal system pathology, especially cervical spine osteochondrosis.
Herbs for the treatment of osteochondrosis at home are the most popular among the population. Medicines are available in any pharmacy in the city.
The application does not cause any serious consequences, and repeated courses of treatment are possible with a short break. Age restrictions are also conditional (admission for children is allowed in the absence of contraindications).
You should know that hot use of all infusions, lotions, compresses is not recommended. The reason is that warming of the affected area can lead to the onset of diffuse purulent infection (phlegmon, abscess), especially if there is any micro-damage in this area. Hot substances have a negative effect on patients with hypertension associated with osteochondrosis.
This treatment option uses the root of this plant (you can prepare it yourself or buy it in pharmacies).
Carrot or 2 teaspoons dry matter Pour 1 cup boiling water. Insist for 24 hours, then moisten the gauze and apply to the collar area. The course of treatment is 7 days.
Needles have light blackening properties. There are several ways to do this:
- In strengthening baths. Pour 1 liter of boiling water over a few candle legs and leave for 2 hours. Then pour the resulting solution into the bath at a temperature of 38C. The duration of the bath is 30 minutes. The course is 7 days.
- In infusions. Pour 2 teaspoons of dry matter with 70% alcohol solution and leave for 3 days. Rub the affected area twice a day. Completion time is 14 days.
- Boil the pine legs for 5 minutes. Strain the resulting juice and rub for 20 minutes.
Has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Improves metabolic processes in tissuesUse jobs:
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of dry matter and pour boiling water (300 ml). Insist for an hour and rub into the cervical region until a slight redness appears. The course is 7 days.
- Pour 3 teaspoons of dandelion flowers and medicinal chamomile (1: 1) in 70% alcohol solution. Insist 24 hours, then apply 2 times a day.
Pine bud infusion
Preparation: Pour 2-3 tablespoons of kidney with boiling water and use on the affected area after cooling completely. The course is 8 days.
Compresses and applications
Folk remedies for cervical osteochondrosis include numerous compresses and lotions, but here are a few basic rules to keep in mind:
- Frequent repetition of the course of treatment (usually 2-3). The reason is that the effectiveness of therapy is extremely low in one course.
- If you tie a scarf / towel to the affected area, the effect of the treatment becomes clearer. The reason is the additional heat effect in addition to the effect of the drug.
Mix 50 ml of kerosene, 2-3 teaspoons of sunflower oil and 1-2 teaspoons of soda. Rub the resulting mixture on the neck area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
The mixture is irritating and should be used with caution.
Compresses, infusions and lotions and potatoes are the most common treatment. There are several reasons for this:
- no serious contraindications (except starch allergy).
Examples of use:
- Finely chop and strain the potatoes. Finally, make a dry mixture into a cake and bake for 20 minutes on the affected area. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Boil the potatoes (3-4) in their shells. Then crush and wrap in gauze. Apply hot potatoes to the neck area for 20 minutes (avoid burns). The course of therapy is 7 days.
Radish is irritating, so exposure time should be reduced according to individual tolerance.
Examples of using radish:
- Pass the radish through a fine grater and strain it through a sieve. Apply the resulting dry mixture on the neck and back for 10-20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Rub the radish and strain. Finally, mix the juice with honey in a ratio of 1: 3. Pour the solution with alcohol and leave for 3 days in a dark room. Then moisten with gauze infusion and apply on the affected area for 10-20 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Sour cream and comfrey
Honey has many useful properties:
- is restored.
The only contraindication is allergic reactions or individual intolerance.
The most popular honey recipes:
- Pure points. Rub honey (50-100 g) on the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
- Mix 50 g of honey and 2 teaspoons of mustard and rub the creamy mixture for 20-30 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Mix honey (20-40 mg), aloe juice (5 ml) and tea tree oil (2-4 drops). Mix well and apply for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 9 days.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is possible at home by rubbing the affected area with infusion and decoction.
This method is based on two mechanisms:
- mechanical pressure;
- Medicinal effects of herbs.
Mother and stepmother
Both flowers and plant stems can be used to prepare the infusion. Pour 70% alcohol while cooking and leave for 4 weeks in a dark room. Then strain the solution through cheesecloth and keep in a glass bowl out of the reach of children.
How to apply: Apply twice a day for 10-15 minutes on the affected area with light massage movements. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
Horseradish and elderberry
Horseradish and elderberry can be used both separately and together. The combined treatment is presented below.
Method of preparation: pour boiling water (1 cup) horseradish leaves and ink (with leaves) separately. Insist during the day. Then filter both solutions and mix in a 1: 1 ratio. Rub the cervical spine and adjacent area once a day for 10 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Ointment forms of the drug provide rapid relief of pain in cervical osteochondrosis.
This form of treatment is only effective if used.
Mix egg whites (2-3) with butter in a ratio of 1: 2 until creamy. Apply to the affected area once a day for 30 minutes and wrap with a towel.
Has a visible anti-inflammatory effect. There are several ways to use ginger:
- Pour 2-3 vegetable roots with olive oil and keep for 24 hours. Lubricate the neck once a day with the resulting mixture at night. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grind ginger root, add coconut and flaxseed oil. Cover the resulting corn mixture with a towel and keep in a dark room for 8 hours. Rub on the joint for 20 minutes for 7 days.
Eggs and mustard
Egg whites are rich in protein, and mustard has a pronounced irritating effect (increases local microcirculation) - these are the main reasons for the use of these components in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Preparation: Mix 2 egg whites and 1-1, 5 tbsp. l. spoon of sour cream until mustard is creamy. Apply to the affected area for 10-15 minutes. The course is 7 days.
Mustard can cause severe local tissue irritation. The procedure is not recommended in case of severe pain syndrome.
heating with ozokerite
Ozokerite is a naturally occurring wax. This procedure is often performed in sanatoriums along with paraffin heat treatment.
Method of application: the wax is heated in a special bowl until it becomes liquid. Then carefully pour into a bowl with sides (a bread pan can be used) and wait for it to cool to 50 C. The resulting mass is then separated from the vessel and applied to the affected area for local heating of the tissues.
Carefully monitor the temperature of the wax and avoid frying.
Prevention of aggravation
Recommendations for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis are generally known, as they apply to all rheumatic diseases.
To effectively prevent the development of the disease, it is recommended to follow a few simple but useful tips:
- physical activity (moderate);
- healthy eating (moderate salt intake);
- Properly fitted shoes (appropriate size, heel 4-6 cm, padding).
Following these rules is a guarantee of spinal health!